Writing definitely does not come easily to me. Sometimes it is SO difficult for me to write up a recipe. I’ll have my photos all edited and inserted into the post, only to have them sit in a draft for days because I cannot think of how to begin.
I’ve struggled with this for over 6 years of blogging.
I love telling you guys how much I enjoyed a dish, but often times words fail me. Thank you for coming back time and again to read my awkward posts. Thank you for the encouraging (and challenging) comments that you leave.
Now let me try to describe this awesome pasta.
Before cooking this dish, I had never worked with leeks. I had to look up a video to learn how to clean and chop them. This charming vegetable comes into season in the early spring, so I thought it would be a good choice to share a recipe here on Buttered Side Up that included them. Asparagus is also in season, so I picked up a bunch at the grocery store. Then I realized that they would be a lovely addition of green to my pasta.
The resulting combination of creamy, salty, starchy and fresh made for one delicious meal.
The beauty of this pasta is that it can easily be customized to your preferences. I really like green peas in carbonara. I’ve never tried it myself, but the recipe I based this pasta off of calls for pancetta. And you don’t HAVE to use Tagliatelle – use whatever pasta you have on hand!
If you decide to make my pasta, make sure to share and tag me on Twitter, Instagram, or leave a comment with a link to your post!
NOTE: If you like crispy bacon, make sure to only add the bacon to the pasta at the end of cooking. I didn’t do this, but I definitely will next time.
Creamy Leek, Asparagus and Bacon Tagliatelle
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces bacon, finely diced
- 1/2 of a leek, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup (7.5 ounces) asparagus, cut on the bias
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces Tagliatelle pasta
1) Get a large pot of water going for the pasta. In a large cast iron skillet set over medium-low heat, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
2) Turn heat up to medium. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan. Once melted, add the leek and asparagus. Season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Remove all to a bowl and set aside.
3) Cook pasta according to package instructions, making sure to generously salt the water.
4) Meanwhile, pour the cream into the skillet (set on low heat) and whisk until hot. Slowly ladle half of the cream into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return to pan and cook, whisking, until slightly thickened. Stir in the parmesan until melted. Add the vegetables, pasta and bacon. Serve immediately with extra parmesan.