These cornmeal waffles are a great change-up from your typical waffles.
Cornmeal Spelt Waffles
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour I used sprouted Spelt flour
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal I used whole, stoneground
- 3/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar I used evaporated cane juice
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk I used soured raw milk
- 1 large egg beaten (I didn't bother beating it beforehand)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
1) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, sugar and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and butter. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
2) Preheat your waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve with lots of butter and real maple syrup. Enjoy!
Adapted from Pinch of Yum