These cornmeal waffles are a great change-up from your typical waffles.
Cornmeal Spelt Waffles
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour I used sprouted Spelt flour
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal I used whole, stoneground
- 3/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar I used evaporated cane juice
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk I used soured raw milk
- 1 large egg beaten (I didn't bother beating it beforehand)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, sugar and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and butter. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- 2) Preheat your waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve with lots of butter and real maple syrup. Enjoy!
Adapted from Pinch of Yum