pinch each of: ginger, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves
For the pancakes:
1 1/3 cup whole milk
2 tsp white wine vinegar
¾ cup white whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpse flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of fine sea salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground espresso
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
2 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
1 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
To make the caramel sauce:
1) Place the sugar in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir vigorously with awooden spoon until the sugar melts. This will take a few minutes.
2) Once the sugar has all melted start adding the butter one piece at a time. Whisk until the butter is completely melted. Wait about 3 seconds and then add the cream slowly. Whisk as you add until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Remove from heat.
3) Add the salt and spices and whisk again a couple times just to incorporate.
To make the pancakes:
1) Combine the milk and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup. Stir lightly and set aside to curdle for at least 5 minutes.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground coffee, cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves. Add the curdled milk, maple syrup, melted butter and vanilla extract. Stir gently to combine, taking care not to over mix.
3) Heat a large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush the pan with melted butter. Drop 1/3 cup measures of the pancake batter into the pan. Allow the first side to cook for 1 to 1-½ minutes, or until bubbles pop on the surface and the edges appear dry and lightly browned. Flip the pancakes over and cook for another minute. Remove pancakes and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
4) Serve pancakes with lots of butter, spiced caramel sauce or maple syrup. Yum!
Subscribe for updates!
Join my mailing list to get access to my FREE healthy snacking guide!
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Subscribe for access to my FREE E-Book!
Join my mailing list and get access to my Healthy Junk Food Cheat Sheet + never miss a post!
Don't worry - I hate spam just as much as you do - your email is safe with me!