This cranberry pecan cheeseball is made healthy with real, simple ingredients!
This cheeseball recipe conjures up so many memories for me. My sister and I first developed the recipe to bring to a tea party. Everyone loved the flavor, and wanted the recipe. I remember when we were calculating up the measurements (we were just throwing stuff that sounded good into a bowl), we decided on 2/3 cups of cranberries because it was “2 Erica handfulls.” ?
We made this recipe so many times in a 5-year span. It was probably at least once a week. If we needed a quick lunch: cranberry pecan cheeseball. Snack after church? Cheeseball. Something to bring to a gathering? Cheeseball. You get the idea.
After making it so regularly for years, it fell a little out of vogue. But I recently made it again for a gathering, and I remembered why I like it so much. It’s a wonderful blend of sweet, savory, creamy, and fresh.
Let’s dive in a make this…
Ingredients for a Cranberry Pecan Cheeseball
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- parmesan cheese
- green onion
- garlic powder
- cayenne powder
- lemon juice
- black pepper
- dried cranberries
- soaked pecans
How to Make a Cranberry Pecan Cheeseball
The process of making this cranberry pecan cheeseball is really simple: put everything but the pecans in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
Scoop onto a piece of plastic wrap.
Form into a cheeseball and place in the fridge to harden a bit, for about 30 minutes.
You can also shape it into a cheese log if you prefer.
Once the cheeseball has hardened a bit, roll it in the chopped pecans.
Now it’s ready to eat!
I like to serve this cheeseball with neutral-flavored crackers so you can really taste the cheeseball. But it’s also lovely with herbed crackers!
- I used Colby cheese for these photos because it was the only organic cheese I could find that was yellow. Cheddar will make a much tastier cheeseball.
- I was able to find organic cranberries at my local health food store. You can also get them on Amazon if your store doesn’t carry them.
- If you do opt for organic cranberries, they can be a little large than conventional ones. Just give them a quick chop before adding to the cheeseball!
- This cheeseball tastes best when it isn’t bone cold. Take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes before serving.
- This recipe makes one medium-sized cranberry pecan cheeseball. Double if you’re a huge cheeseball fan and want leftovers!
- This could be a gluten-free appetizer if you serve it with GF crackers!
Healthy Cranberry Pecan Cheeseball
This delicious and easy cheese ball recipe uses healthy, real ingredients.
- 1 8- ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans chopped coarse
1) Place all ingredients except pecans in a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer on medium-low speed until well combines.
2) Scrape the mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Cover with the plastic wrap and shape into a ball or log. Put the cheese ball on a plate and place in the refrigerator to harden, about 30 minutes – 1 hour.
3) Roll the cheese ball in the chopped pecans and place on a serving plate. Serve with crackers.
Note: This cheeseball is best if allowed to sit for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to blend. The flavors are best if it is allowed to sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving.