Use up extra apples by making this delicious fall quick bread.
1cup+ 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
generous pinch freshly ground nutmeg
2/3cupbuttermilkI used yogurt + a little milk
1/3cupunsalted buttermelted and slightly cooled
2large eggslightly beaten
1/2cupcoarsely chopped apples
3/4cupcoarsely chopped pecans or walnutsdivided
cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×5×3-inch loaf pan.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3) In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, maple syrup, eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the grated apples, chopped apples flax seeds and half of the chopped walnuts. Fold to incorporate thoroughly.
4) Scoop batter into prepared pan and top with granulated sugar, cinnamon and the rest of the walnuts. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
5) Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack to cool before wrapping & storing. Serve slightly toasted with butter.