Hearty Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion diced small
- 1 small box crimini baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced
- 6 vine tomatoes about 1 bunch, diced medium
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- your favorite pasta I used wide egg noodles
- 1) Cook the sausage until no longer pink.
- 2) In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onion, lower the heat, and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook until the onions are almost transparent, about 3 more minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until everything is nice and soft. Add the garlic and salt and pepper to taste and cook for 2 more minutes.
- 3) Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, sugar and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes. Add the cooked sausage and stir to combine.
- 4) Meanwhile, as the sauce is simmering, bring a pot of water to boil. Add salt and stir in your pasta. Cook to desired firmness (I like mine a little past al dente). Serve with lots of sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan. Enjoy!